PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining a VOR hold
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2007, 03:48
Notsonew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Abeam and joining a VOR hold

Thanks everyone.
Yes it is a NDB transmitter not an ADF. How many millions of gallons of fuel burnt in flying holds in the FTOs ?
I can see the point that if you turn outbound in a NDB hold with a big (3 or 2 times single drift) then the fore and aft axis of the aircraft is probably never going to make a 90 degree angle to the transmitter. So, ( I think) you are never going to be able to say that there is absolutely no dip. Am I right? So, you have not absolutely determined the abeam position. So, you might as well time from wings level and knock off some seconds for not starting the stopwatch exactly abeam. But how much? Why not take a sneaky look at the DME range at the end of the outbound leg or if no DME then that very useful GPS.

The VOR joins I now half understand.But, if, you track 313 to a hold and supposedly on that track you cross over the fix of DTY 240 /22 DME (inbound is actually 060) are you direct join? Sorry, I haven't got Panops in front of me and if it was a FIX determined by a VOR tx on the ground I could happily say fly wings level after crossing the fix for 'angle' (73 degrees) to the inbound track divide by 10 times 2, answer in seconds. Then turn outbound.

Cheers