PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My Plan
Thread: My Plan
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2007, 18:07
Snowiey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My thoughts

After many years of dreaming of commercial aviation as a career I have finally decided to go for it at 28. However , the first hurdle I have came across is modular or integrated. I am planning to use the equity in my home to fund my final choice.
After many hours of reading this forum I am yet to find the perfect answer, and have come to the conclusion that the perfect answer does not exist. Financially, if I used everything I have, I could (just) manage to afford an integrated course with one of the big names.
I am also considering the modular route through my local training school - Cleveland ( based at Durham / Tees Valley ) as well as Bristol ground school. My query is the distance learning, I hear that Bristol is very good, but can you achieve what you could in a more intense classroom environment? With the added bonus of being able to ask questions there and then?
Another factor in going modular is that after achieving qualifications the saving made could be used to 'buy' my way into a officer training scheme - such as Ryanair cadet scheme ( if I did not do well with the 'posting CV's method ).
If I went Integrated and got no job at the end I would be financially wrecked in terms of being able to invest in 'a further step'. I am still unconvinced by the schools 'help' to find you employment, certainly not convinced enough to spend the extra £20K or more.
Even if it offends the morals of some that I am willing to 'buy' my way in to a cadet scheme, I have to be realistic. For me personally this is a huge sum of money. I need to aim to achieve the best possible outcome first time as this level of investment won't be possible again! Any comments?

Regards Jon