PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircrew rations
Thread: Aircrew rations
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2007, 10:23
Rigex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so very sad

Its a while since I parted company with the RAF ('78), but I spent time on (pseudo) transport sqdns, (115 Sdn Argosies, Varsitys), V-force, 2 TAF, Leapin' Heaps (Witt) etc, etc. Apart from a couple of prima donnas (meet them everywhere), there was never, in my experience, a great flyers / groundies divide, mutual respect was the norm.
In those (good) times, everyone got free food when on guard, exercise, flying, etc, even long road journeys! - and no-one coveted their neighbour's sarnie box, whether from aircrew rations or the mess.
As a Groundy, when the opportunity presented itself any "leftovers" from the aircraft were gratefully accepted, for various reasons including those mentioned above (cleaning the aircraft / no opportunity to get to the mess due to snag fixing, and so on). No-one made any big deal about it, it was just the way it was.
What really saddens me is to see the vitriolic sniping going on between a couple of guys (TSM & AGE) whose inputs I have enjoyed in the past.
That the bean counters / stealers have brought the state of moral in the service to this level is the real pity.

Come on guys, kiss and make up eh?

Incidentally, I did see one (Varsity) pilot open the cockpit side window and throw his sarnies out somewhere over the med. once, so perhaps that was an alternative to bringing them back!