PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircrew rations
Thread: Aircrew rations
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2007, 10:14
Winco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toddbabe,

I don't see anywhere on this forum where anyone is even remotely suggesting that 'idiots wearing flying suits think that evryone aspires to be aircrew and those that aren't are not clever enough' perhaps you would be so kind as to point that part out to me?

The reason why aircrew have been rationed, and cointinue to be rationed is a simple one Human Physiology. Now you can believe it or not, but that is the fact why aircrew are given rations whilst on flying duties. I wouldn't argue with you about the simulator, but as far as flying duties are concerned, there is a real need (according to the medics) to be correctly rationed.

Now understandably, you and AGE feel agrieved by this. You feel that you are 'equal' to the aircrew, and if you can't have rations, then why should anyone else? Whilst I understand your gripe, that is NOT a reason for you to argue for the withdrawl of rations. Whenever I took a Crew Chief flying with me and my crew, they were also rationed, and I didn't see any of them refuse the food. Likewise, if we took other groundcrew with us, they were also rationed. So I don't see what your problem is frankly. You would have been quite happy to have been rationed for duty supper I suspect when it was available, or whilst on guard duty or whatever, all free of charge?

I would agree with you that the loss of these 'perks' if you like was yet another kick in the teeth for the military, but is that any reason to now argue for a further reduction in 'perks' albeit for the aircrew minority??

Let me put it to you another way: If you were being 'flown' somewhere nice, on your holidays and with your family or friends, how would you feel if you knew that the Captain and Co-Pilot, hadn't eaten 'properly' for a few hours prior to the flight, and just had some quick 'junk food' that they had picked up prior to flight, on an 18 hour trip to say Hong Kong?? Would you be happy with that? Would you not feel happer knowing that they had been fed and watered properly, and were feeling 'good' prior to a landing some 18 hours later?

I would and so should you, because, as you will probably well know, we as humans do not perform well, if we have not been fed or watered. Now I'm not making excuses here for the aircrew. These are the facts, take them or leave them. Ask the guys at the Institute of Aviatiojn medicine at Farnboro' and they will explain it to you far better than I can. But please don't argue for one element of the service to lose a perk, simply because you have unfortunately lost one yourself.

And by the way, You will find that Aircrew, both Officer and NCO also lost the free meals for OO, guard duty, etc.It wasn't just restricted to the groundcrew.

Of course I could start another thread asking why it is that Officers HAVE to pay for their uniforms and the others don't!! but I shall refrain on this occasion.

The Winco