PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin accused of discriminating against disabled passengers
Old 25th May 2007, 03:34
sinala1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capt_Snafu before you get your knickers in a knot, understand that this policy does not apply across the board to all wheelchair passengers - in fact the vast majority travel daily without a carer. Its called the Independant Travel Policy, and includes things like being able to administer own medication, use a seatbelt yourself, pull down an oxygen mask yourself etc. These are basic functions that the majority of wheelchair bound passengers have no problem with - infact I have had wheelchair bound pax on my flights who are significantly more athletically able than I am!

Political Correctness has gone far too far, however I agree that if it can be proven that a carer is required then perhaps a carer's fare could be introduced - similar to the way a lot of american carriers will charge oversize pax for 2 seats - one adult seat, and one child seat - and if the flight does not oversell (ie it dispatches with empty seats) then the charge for the child seat is refunded. Fair (fare) on both the pax and the carrier.