PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin accused of discriminating against disabled passengers
Old 25th May 2007, 03:15
MIss Behaviour

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't believe all people requiring wheelchairs should have to take a carer with them. If those passengers need extra care or assistance during the flight eg with medication, feeding themselves or going to the loo then fair enough they should pay for a carer who can assist them - flight attendants cannot be expected to provide this kind of care. This is just common sense not any kind of discrimination.

The cost of a carer should not be borne by the airline, however I'm certain that in some cases State Governments may offer a subsidy or even reimbursement for this purpose, not sure about Centrelink.

The boarding of passengers in wheelchairs just requires co-ordination and organisation by ground staff. I've seen a lot of people travelling recently who are extremely able bodied but just happen to be travelling with a wheelchair. They can get themselves through security and to the boarding gate with a minimum of fuss but they do like staying in their own wheelchair for as long as possible so they can get themselves around to the cafe, gift shop, toilet just like the rest of us without another person having to assist them.

Okay, so a member of ground staff has to take their wheelchair from the boarding gate to oversize at minus 30, is that really too much to ask? I'm sure more time is spent searching for fail to board passengers who aren't in wheelchairs than it is for the above.

On a recent flight I saw 9 wheelchair athletes load themselves onto a domestic flight quite successfully, in fact all 230 pax were onboard the 767 15mins prior to the ETD.

To avoid any misunderstanding on what assistance is required to board just ask the pax what assistance they require when boarding eg can they self transfer from their wheelchair to the seat. A lot of delays could be avoided if ground staff ask these basic questions at check-in.

Of course it helps if you have experienced staff so for employers who include "no experience necessary" in their job descriptions you get what you pay for.

In my experience there's no substitute for experience. - Chuck Yaeger

Last edited by MIss Behaviour; 25th May 2007 at 03:26.