PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1940s "Spotter" magazines
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2007, 23:30
Warmtoast

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
I was stationed at 5 FTS (RAF Thornhill) Rhodesia in 1951-53 and a former colleague who was there at the same time as me mentioned he had a nearly full collection of the RAF Thornhill station magazine "BUKA" and would I like to borrow them? I jumped at the chance, having after 50+ years only vague but fond recollections of the contents. He duly sent them to me and using Adobe Acrobat I scanned them as PDFs and burnt the results to CD.

Thinking these magazines were rather unique I had a word with one of the curators at the RAF Museum at Hendon and he said he would be delighted to add the PDF copies to their collection, the RAF Museum having very little about the RAF's post-war activities in Rhodesia in their collection / archives.

The only snag as far as I was corncerned was the time it took to scan each magazine, with 30-40 pages per magazine it took an age, but at least it's been done and the RAF Museum curator was happy with the result and sent me a very nice letter thanking me.

I mentioned to the magazine's owner that he ought to consider donating the originals to the musuem, but doesn't have a computer (to read PDFs) and said preferred to hold on to them.