PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chicago Freighter Base
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2007, 21:42
freeflyer14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago Freighter Base

I am for the moment doing my homework on all things Cathay, and after many searches on here and flightinfo, I have not received a firm answer on the ORD base. As I understand it, this base is not open to new hires, nor will it be for quite some time. I live in Chicago, with a family, and plan on staying. That being said, commuting is something I am ok with, but only as a temporary situation - meaning, I don't want to plan on commuting for the rest of my career. I am currently a regional captain, looking into the next step.

1. I remember reading that this is a very small base for FO's, but are there many captains based there? Can a junior captain hold Chicago?

2. I also read about something where you can be based in JFK or one of the other NA bases but list ORD as your preferred base, meaning you can be assigned trips out of there if a trip will begin or end there. Does this happen often, or is it pretty much a once in a while (or never) occurrence?

3. I already know that jumpseating is difficult at best, and most people who commute do so with paid tickets. Are the trips commutable at all on the front or end of trips? Do you know what time you will begin and end your trips in advance, and if so how long in advance?

Thanks for any information you can provide, I really appreciate all the assistance in this forum and look forward to beginning the process.