PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircrew rations
Thread: Aircrew rations
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2007, 19:57
Grimweasel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I have to agree. I have received 'Lumpy Boxes' on too many LL sorties around the UK, even when not missing a meal. I could never see the point in them, they were full of junk and as such I used to bring in my own much healthier food. And before any one quotes Flt safety and all that crap on most of the AT fleet you have a fridge and microwave.

I fail to see why we should continue with this 2 tier RAF of winged and not winged. We are all people at the end of the day with the same basic human needs. Therefore why should all the flyers be blessed with better conditions than the equal human on the ground? The pathetic egotistical argument of 'should have done better at school' or 'can't beat 'em join em' has no place in today’s society and as such would be ridiculed and frowned upon in most company HR departments.

I have often come across winged personnel who do think they are a cut above and special. Granted, not everyone can be tarnished with this brush but there is a distinct level of selfish elitism that presides amongst some aircrew.

See the letters page in the RAF News this week and the cutbacks being enforced on personnel attending courses, where the first 30 days free food has been axed. Now, the average tom with £200 spare a month will have to pay for food when he is away on a compulsory course? What other civi company would send people away and not give them perks / expenses? This proves that your argument if selfish and flawed.

Therefore why should aircrew doing a 2 hr LL sortie from 0900-1100 receive rations just because they are flying??

I'm not bitter and twisted, just trying to get people to appreciate both side of the fence and how some people (inc the personnel that get the planes into the air, techies, drivers, chefs, all part of the team) feel.

It's that bad attitude that may leave the air-force with less people to look after the aircrew in all aspects, than pilots.

Rant over...constructive points only though as levels of maturity need to be maintained!!