PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRISTOL - 3
Thread: BRISTOL - 3
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2007, 19:47
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The routes will be Bratislava 3 x weekly, Budapest 4 x w, Derry daily, Dinard 3 x w, Katowice 3 x w, Knock 4 x w, Bergamo daily, Porto 3 x w, Poznan 3 x w, Riga 3 x w, Rzeszow 2 x w, Salzburg 2 x w, Wroclaw 4 x w.

Perhaps the surprises are that Derry and Bergamo are daily, but FR seem to know the game intimately and the daily BRS-SNN route appears highly successful in terms of pax carried (8,972 in April for example).

The Polish routes are no surprise. Krakow operates at over 90% load factor month in and month out and the easyJet fares are never low on this route which must show a huge demand. Indeed it will soon go daily. Bristol and its hinterland does have a huge Polish community and the wider South West is also home to many of Polish extraction.

I have a couple of reservations -I hope I don't sound too curmudgeonly.

First, I'm not sure that easyJet will be overjoyed (to put it mildly) and there is evidence that when FR or another significant low cost operator has set up alongside easy at regional airports the Orange machine does rein itself in regarding further major expansion. Of course, this might be simply be that all feasible routes from those airports have been filled either by easy or its competitor. I suppose competition is good for the business soul though.

Second, where are all the new pax going to be accommodated? MOL talks of another million in 2008 and 2 million in 2009. The BRS MD stated in the recently published airport magazine that the airport will see 6 million pax this year, so with the FR expansion and no other growth we are looking at around 8 million by 2009.

Regular airport users will know the departure lounge can be very crowded at certain times already. Chapter 7, para 7.11 of the master plan acknowledges this and says the current terminal will suffice until 2009 when in excess of 6.5 annual pax are expected - it's out of date already!

As the planning application for an expanded terminal is yet to be submitted, and will meet ferocious opposition from the anti group, it is arguable whether the bigger terminal will be ready by 2009. Whether it is or not something will have to be done in the interim to accommodate the extra pax generated by FR.

BRS is in the local news a lot today. The Bristol Evening Post carried a story about the B 787, suggesting it will be BRS's salvation re long haul routes. They are certain CO will use it on the EWR route and that FCA will expand their l/h destinations too.

Incidentally, CO had its best ever month in April on the BRS-EWR in terms of pax carried; furthermore 40% of pax now originate from the USA which was the Achilles Heel of the route in the first year or so.

Apparently BRS have issued a map (I haven't seen it) showing all the destinations reachable (presumably non-stop) from BRS using the B 787.

The route development director says they have launched Project East to secure a Dubai route, basing it on the successful Project USA venture. They have spoken to a number of Middle East airlines and are confident of a positive outcome.