PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are my RIGHTS going through security?
Old 24th May 2007, 07:14
spiney

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting back to the jist of the thread... What are your rights going through security? Well they certainly change depending on the country. I was travelling from Russia to SE Asia transiting through Frankfurt. I had inadvertently left my Leatherman in the bottom of my carry-on bag. (I'd normally have it in my check-in bag, but not on this occasion and I didn't notice it on a Russian domestic flight and a further international flight that day... nor apparently did any of the multiple security checks I went through.) I got through transit security in FRA and as far as the Business Lounge. I was looking through my bag when I found the misplaced Leatherman. My connection to BKK was in 3 hours. I debated about just binning the offending article, but it cost over a hundred bucks and I was loath just to throw it away. I considered mailing it home, but could find a post office airside. I knew it was illegal, but since I'd been though several security checks that day without being stopped, I thought I'd just play dumb and if it was found, bin it at that point - I'd seen plently plastic bins at security points with the offending articles - BIG mistake spiney....
I went to the gate a bit early and sure enough it was found on X-Ray. "Oh dear, didn't realise, silly me - no problem - just chuck it in the bin." Not in Germany you can't... The offending article was examined as if it were some futuristic light sabre and deemed a 'weapon' as a result of the blade being a few mm longer that it would to be classified merely as a tool. Not only was I not permitted to take the 'veppon' on the aircraft, I was not allowed to have it in my possession in the terminal and this 'crime' was a matter, not for the Airport Police, but for the Federal Police.... not good... Flight boarding in an hour... But since this was Germany they were not allowed simply to confiscate the item. I had to produce and sign paperwork indicating that I was prepared to surrender the 'veppon'... After about 30 minutes the Feds arrived replete with real weapons... all very intimidating I assure you... and I was asked if I wanted a Lawyer present and read my rights... getting worse..
I honestly thought I was going to be arrested and would not be allowed to continue my journey. As it transpired I had to make a formal statement summarising what had happened and confirming that I knew such an item was not allowed. I aslo had to sign a separate agreement to surrender the item to the Police. The case would be raised with a local magistrate in my absence and my agreement to surrender the item was understood. The paperwork would be forwarded to my home address and I would be allowed to continue my journey - to my mighty relief...
So it seems, in Germany at any rate, they don't actually have the right to confiscate the offending item - you have to give it to them. I could have got my Leatherman back, but it would have been outside the terminal and for sure I'd have missed my flight. If I'd for a second imagined the hassle this was going to cause I'd have binned it without a second thought. The Airport Security, Airport Police and Federal Police were professional, thorough and courteous but it's not something I'd wish to repeat.