PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Risk Assessment in operation
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2007, 03:43
McGowan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well said SASless,

The shame of it all is that we have been doing "risk assessments" as Pilots forever. Everytime we take off, we think "is this going to work, yeah, can't see a problem, away we go". That for me is a risk assessment. Everything I do in a helicopter is done that way. I'm always thinking ahead and deciding weather what I'm about to do is going to come out okay. If I decide it's not going to work, I don't go and do it.
Now all they want is for us to do the "risk assessment" in a formal manner, write it down. A pain in the arse, but that's what is required by some companies now.
Far as I'm conserned, the photo is a great one and looks safe enough to me. Even though it does look like he is saving the enviorment by not peeing on the ground.
You can't eliminate risk, only minimise it to an acceptable level (a level that is safe enough not to kill me).
As has been said, there are those who sit there shiny behind in an office chair and have never been out of the city or in a helicopter who think they know how we should do what we do.
IMHO "they" can take a flying jump up their own blott.