PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kinloss........Whats Going on?
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2007, 21:45
buoy15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tappers Dad
I console with your concerns, and those of the other families - their sadness and anxieties, regarding the loss of the crew of XV 230
However, we must not lose sight of what the BOI is struggling to achieve in very difficult circumstances
To point problems by stating the MR2 is a converted Comet is a bit naughty
It was a new metal build based on that frame design and extensively modified
The Chief Design Engineer for project 801 ( project no for Nimrod) based at Woodford, formerly AVRO, then Hawker Siddley, now BWOS knew his onions.
He interpreted the MOD Specification - based on UK maritime and Cold War conditions - and met the order by producing a pure jet airliner size ac that
could fly by day and night in all weather at low level, to either attack a submarine or provide SAR.
With this in mind he "overmilled" as they say in the industry
He knew they were going to be turning and burning at low level in sh"te weather for most of their life (unlike the Comet) - so he beefed them up.
Where the Spec was 10ml he made it 12. and where it was 15 he made 17, and so on. Unlike Boeing - if it's 10ml then it's 10ml - saves costs - not lives
I was later involved with a group that witnessed the first 3 fuselages being NDT'd ( Non Destructive Testing) (X Ray) at Poole and was assured by the project manager that if the MRA4 never came about, the existing fleet was "oversafe" because they had been over designed, well maintained (NMSU) and well cared for (Nimrod Line) and aircrew. His final words were - " They are actually a brick-****house"
Regarding hours - the meedjia are quoting fleet not airframe
Aircraft are designed to acieve at least 48000+ flying hrs, regardless of how long they have spent on the ground
I flew on Nimrods for 32 years and achieved barely 10.000 hours in the air
I have seen every F700 in the Mk2 Fleet and the oldest at 2004 was about 19000 and the youngest about 16000
They still have a long way to go
Regarding fuel leaks
They have to be classified
Moist
Damp
Drip ( so many per min - per hr)
Persistant
Leak
Gushing
Some Ppruners might identify ex-wives here - please don't