PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Pilots Salaries
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2007, 20:48
keepin it in trim

Apache for HEMS - Strafe those Survivors!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I made the jump from heli to fixed wing just over 2 years ago. I was a tri/tre, sp ir on the ec135 for a large on shore operator. I am now a line training captain for a major fractional jet operator (fill in the gaps if you like). I enjoyed flying the ec135 and the people I worked with were a great bunch, but I also work with a great bunch of people now. I also now have a stable roster, more time off, t and c's which overall are as good or better, oh and including my per diems my salary is roughly double.

When I started flying onshore commercial I brought with me around 5800 experience 4000 of that on heavy twin rotary, day/night, nvg and ifr. The simple facts are that if you want quality people with good experience the pool is getting smaller. The north sea pays well, the asu/air ambulance sector does not, I do not see it ever reaching North Sea levels, but it needs to get a lot better if it going to attract the right sort of people into a satisfying but also very demanding part of the helicopter world.

Sorry if this seems a little off topic but I think that guys in the on shore market are getting quite a lot less than they are worth.