PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'No Smoking' at MAN
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2007, 12:36
SpannerInTheWerks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'No Smoking' at MAN

My partner saw a friend off from MAN on Monday and was surprised to find there is No Smoking anywhere in the Terminals. Apparently little huts have been provided outside for the purpose.

I'm a non-smoker and it wasn't until I met my partner that I realised the physical and psychological effects not having a cigarette can have on a smoker's demeanour and mood over an extended period of time.

We have travelled long haul regularly over the past year and the first comment made after leaving the aircraft is 'I'm dying for a fag, let's get the bags and get out of here!'

She smokes 40 a day and the prospect of an eight or nine hour flight without the dreaded weed is not something she relishes.

With the new regulations, it now means No Smoking from the time you have cleared security to outside the terminal at the far end.

I'm sure she's not alone in thinking this is going to cause additional stress during the flight leading to short-tempers on board the aircraft. Also passengers will be spread around the airport having a 'last fag' before making their way to the departure lounge.

It will be interesting to see if the number of 'missing' passengers increases and the number of bad tempered incidents rises as a consequence.

I used to be against smoking in public places and still am if smokers and non-smokers mix. But surely the idea of banning outright a section of the public from ALL areas even when these can be segregated by building design cannot be a good thing.

MAN terminals were fine in my view. Smoking areas or rooms which had no impact on the quality of the surrounding environment and enjoyment of other passengers.

My view has changed. There has to be a place for everyone.

SITW