PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spitfire v Lightning
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2007, 11:49
doubledolphins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spitfire v Lightning

A recent Telegraph obit for AM Sir John Nicholls described combat tests carried out in 1963 between him in a Spifire and a Lightning. Sounds like great fun. The reason given was that the indonesians were using P 51s against us.Therefore some idea of the tactics that might be used against us needed to be established. (Can't remember the full details as I left the paper on the flight deck for the next crew.)

I have an old accaintence who once told me of a sortie he flew in a Buccaneer. He was some what startled to see a Mustang flash past down his right hand side and thought no more of it until he recovered back on the carrier. Then it was pointed out to him that he had a few holes in his tail.

Does any one out there know if this incedent prompted the tests? Were the Navy and RAF talking to each other any way? What were the chances of deploying Lightnings to the Confrontation? Has any one shot down a mustang with a jet. (Including the Germans.)

The US toyed with the idea of the Piper Enforcer in the 1970s. A P 51 with a turbo prop.

I think I am correct in saying That "Hoagy" Carmichael's kill of a mig in Sea Fury is the only reported piston kill of a jet.