PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - N reg craft to the UK?
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2007, 10:51
scooter boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bose, please accept my apologies if you found my question offensive, perhaps I misinterpreted the recent postings you have made on this issue.

Let me start by stating that I wholeheartedly applaud your participation in attempting to improve the current situation of European IR attainability. I would however have grave reservations about this development being used as leverage to oust N-reg IFR operators permanently based in Europe - i:e "convert to our rating or get out."

There is a massive industry involved in N-reg ops within Europe which has grown out of the perceived unattainability of a European IR. Unless full grandfather rights are forthcoming for pilots and aircraft (highly unlikely and very difficult to impose) I predict that there will be a war on over any sudden moratorium on N-reg IFR ops.

I would also suspect that those who truly hold the power are sensitive to the repercussions that this would create and would rather see a gradual reduction in N-reg IFR operators as the EU equivalent becomes more attainable rather than an immediate moratorium.

I am sure I am not alone in being extremely concerned at the possibility of the status quo being rocked. Huge vested interests are at stake here.

I hope that the politicians are smart enough to phase things in slowly and offer a carrot rather than try to use a stick.

SB