PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PSU up to the job?
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2007, 19:12
None of the above

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone! Plenty of food for thought there...........

The case format is MicroATX with 'Tiny' embossed on the side although I'm not sure that all the innards are from the same vendor but the PSU does seem to be 'standard issue'.
It was given to me by a neighbour who runs a PC repair business and it came to him as a trade in. He needed the original PSU for a repair when the one ordered for the job he was doing failed to arrive. When it did land, he passed it to me to install. So, having a new PSU in the machine, it would seem a shame to replace it at this stage.
As it stands at the moment, there are no case fans fitted, so by the time I added in those with all the other components I had in mind, it would seem likely that the PSU would be operating under some strain.

Keef.........

Yes, I think you might have the right idea about using it as a Linux box.
I did try to do a dual boot job with it over the weekend (two HDDs), but the BIOS didn't take too kindly to the task. Will probably just leave the hardware 'as is' and use it as a dedicated Linux box.
Should be interesting trying to configure the USB Wireless thingy!

Thanks again, everyone.

N o t a

PS:

Keef...........

I wanted to format the HDD that had been used to install a Linux distro (as above). I hung it on the end of an IDE adaptor and connected it to my main machine by USB socket with the intention of using Partition Magic to format it.
Curiously, PM wouldn't (or couldn't) do the job. I can always make a boot floppy and FDISK it suppose, but I'm surprised that it couldn't be done as planned.
Any thoughts?

Ta, N o t a.

Last edited by None of the above; 22nd May 2007 at 19:40. Reason: Addition of formatting question.