PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAA Flight Attendants rip the ring out at IAD
Old 22nd May 2007, 18:53
SAA201

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is a reply from a member of the ASAnews Yahoogroup regarding this topic that I thought you guys may enjoy reading:

I was in a similar situation coming out of New York some years back, BUT we had a street smart SAA captain!
Our flight was delayed through no fault of SAA & the head cabin controller came to the captain with an ultimatum-- "either we push back in the next 40 minutes or we leave the aircraft as then, by the time we get to Joburg. we would have exceeded our legal duty time".
The captain explained to me that the crew enjoy spending an extra 24 hours in Manhattan, but not in Windhoek, so he promptly told them that he is taking off when ATC gives him permission, even if it is past the cabin crews 40 minute deadline. In the event that they would exceed their duty time, he was going to divert to Windhoek where a fresh cabin crew would join the aircraft & the present crew could relax for the necessary 24 hours!
The captain would, if necessary, speak to SAA ops in Joburg & have the replacement crew waiting for us in Windhoek to keep the delay to a minimum.
It was amazing how this smart stratergy changed the attitude of the cabin staff, who, in the event, did their duty all the way to Joburg!
I guess I would also rather go to my family in Joburg or spend an all expense paid 24 hours in Manhattan, that spend 24 hours in Windhoek!