PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS UK - Wannabes & Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2007, 11:34
ozskipper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fantastic news that the AO crew are being offered some alternatives!

I assume if you come up to London for 2 years you will have a permanent position to return to in Australia in Qantas?

I'm with Hyena on this one, I definately think it's a good opportunity to live and work in the UK. The base is very friendly and having worked with both Sydney and Melbourne crews, the environment is very different up here.

The interest free season loan allows you to purchase a Yearly Travel Card to use on the Tube / Buses etc - the company pays the upfront cost and then deducts it from your salary over a 12 month period. Personally, I think it's great if you are based on the ground and are using the public transport system daily, but I find that using prepay is more economical as I'm only in the country for a few days a week and I don't always catch public transport.

I wouldn't bother with a car if you are going to live in the Greater London area - the public transport system is very extensive and the cost of running and insuring a car isn't worth it for the short amount of time you actually spend in the country. Again, it's a personal view and when I did the numbers it just wasn't worth it. If you are going to live outside of London and semi-commute then it may be worth it.

As for the money - you're not going to be retiring a land baron on it, but it's certainly liveable and providing you're sensible with your spending you'll have no problems surviving on it. Especially if you have your relocation allowance to supplement your salary.

Anyways, hope that helps