PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incredible Battle of Trafalgar Square
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2007, 09:25
Safeware

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Didn't see the programme, but may I take everyone back to this thread:http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=253084 and in particular #34 from Rigex (my bold):

Dear .....(name deleted to protect the innocent)
I write further to your e mail relating to press coverage of the recent incident when Lieutenant Lenherr was stopped from entering the store because he was wearing a military uniform.
First of all I must apologise for the distress these reports may have caused. We are similarly upset at the level of criticism we have received, because many of Harrods employees are ex-service men and women and only the day before we had conducted our own remembrance service at the store’s permanent memorial to the many hundreds of Harrodians who lost their lives in the two world wars.
We do not deny that the incident took place, nor that the situation could have been handled more sensitively, albeit I would like to take the opportunity to explain the background.
Harrods does indeed have an entrance policy relating to various forms of attire. This policy has been altered over the years in line with the cultural climate and also, of course, to meet the specific requirements of our customers.
There is a historical precedent in place which relates specifically to those wearing uniforms - the main reason for which is that certain customers can be alarmed by the sight of uniforms - assuming that there is some sort of incident going on.
In conclusion, whilst we understand from the authorities that uniformed military personnel are discouraged from wearing their uniform other than at their place of work and in transit to and from work – we appreciate that on this occasion the security officer followed the guidelines to the letter rather than using his discretion or seeking advice.
All of that said, the level of interest in this story has led us to take a closer look at the policy and we will certainly remind our security officers to act more sensitively in the future.
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to bring your views to our attention.
Yours sincerely
Laurence Williams
Manager
Customer Services

Obviously haven't learned then have they?

sw