PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would Type Rating Help?
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2007, 23:41
12 o Clock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys all comments well appreciated.
It is a very emotive subject and believe me no one hates the idea of self funding a type rating more than me. It does mean a trip back to the bank which I so can't afford. I have always been of the school of thought that if someone is willing to sarcrifice to obtain the license and associated ratings, than the least a prospective employer can do once they are satisfied that you fit the company profile, is to offer further training on their equipment. Bonding is a sensible way of protecting their investment and I don't think there is a pilot out there who would refuse to sign such an agreement.

However, the problem is that any jobs out there at present that I have seen, all require a type rating and it seems that without one there is very little chance of getting the first right seat. I have even heard from a friend of mine that one company offered him a job !!! they would pay for the type rating.... and he would have to work for nothing until the rating was paid off and get this..... he still would have had to sign a three year bond!!!! needless to say he didn't take them up on their offer

It just seems to me that operators can do what they like at the moment and until the demand for pilots increases, they are in a position to say what they will and won't do.

So to end, I don't want to pay for a TR but I may very well end up having to, but under no circumstances would I do so without a signed offer of employment.