PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Strange trial lessons
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2007, 19:26
Speed Twelve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I, too had a trial lesson punter who was surprised when I got in the aircraft with her, as she assumed that she was going off on her own for 1/2 an hour...

Went to take another flying at EDI years ago where our C150 was parked next to an A300B4 freighter. She went straight to the steps up to the Airbus and was not happy when I told her it was in fact the Cessna we were going flying in.

One girl simply wanted to touch a cloud, and was again disappointed when we went IMC and she stuck her hand out of the DV window. She genuinely thought it would feel like cotton wool...

Gave one rather large chap control at 2000' to fly S+L, at which point he went into a blind panic, pulled the control column back to the aft stop and resolutely refused to let go. Interesting UP recovery once I had eventually persuaded him to give me control back.

I used to feel guilty when going on 1 hr trial lessons with people that you instantly got on with and had an hour-long airborne conversation with you at a rate of £100+ per hour!

Like SAS, I have had people go into such an irrational panic that they have tried to get out whilst still 1/2 a mile up.

And the old chestnuts:

"Is this your plane?"
"Do you have a proper job?"
"Is this your hobby?"
"We don't seem to be going very fast."
"Why don't you go and fly bigger planes?" (Normally asked 5 times a day in the weeks following completion of initial IRT and MCC course).

Must enjoy it, though, still instructing after 8 years!