PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Best And Worst Aviation TV Programs of all time!
Old 16th Aug 2001, 19:31
RATBOY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Tales of the Gold Monkey" much better than "Wings", which was mostly a soap opera with a little flying, though all the flying parts well done. Was Gold Monkey using a Goose or a Widgeon?

Moldy oldies from U.S. are "Ripcord" about a skydiving school (okay, that's falling, not flying but great air to air shots and an intro that said everything you see is real, no tricks no illusions and don't do this at home boys and girls) and "Sky King" an old saturday am potboiler done on a low budget...seldom saw the airplane and when you did a lot was closeups of the "cockpit" being rocked around against a "sky" background, but what the heck I was only 5.

12 O'Clock High was a tv series too, with good acting and fairly good plots mostly. Lots of stock footage (the same ball turret, the same Bf109 ... oh well). Lots of combat footage over used and some footage of the unsinkable aircraft carrier they were operating from. What started me on wanting to go to a real pub.

"Ba Ba Blacksheep" modern series with F4Us and some other warbirds and lots of SNJs painted up like the bad guys etc. Not that great but not that bad from a airplanes point of view. Obviously not filmed on a south pacific island, can't go too far on the realism and technical details. Still shown on cable under another name, but is all reruns now.

Speedvision on cable gets some good airplane programming every so often. Made by different people and the quality is of course variable, but the good part with all that is to see footage that you don't see all the time from the big media houses.

edited to add "Hogan's Heroes" a situation comedy where the situation was Allied airmen in a German prison camp. Doesn't sound very good, I'll admit, but they managed to do a creditable job with comedy without really poor taste. Had to have seen Stalag 17 and Great Escape for it to be really funny though. Seldom has airplanes in it except the odd shadowy Lysander picking up someone from the resistance or shot down aircraew. (where best to hide shot down aircrew pending recovery than in a prison camp full or aircrew?)

[ 16 August 2001: Message edited by: RATBOY ]