PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Best And Worst Aviation TV Programs of all time!
Old 10th Aug 2001, 05:30
Squawk 8888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked the episode of Junkyard Wars where the two teams were challenged to build manned gliders in a day, using materials scavenged from a scrapyard. They were then winched up and the one with the longest flight time was declared the winner. I'm curious, though- like the UK cable channels, the broadcaster here repeats every show dozens of times per year. I've seen them build racecars, diving tanks, submarines, cannons, you name it, all were aired several times- but the glider episode only aired once. Could the lawyers have nixed it for fear of being sued copycats who screw up? If so, why not any of the other episodes that depicted hazardous pursuits?

I liked that Discovery series about the YYZ-FRA flight- keep thinking I'd like to do something similar with light A/C as a training aid for the Air Cadet squadron I work with. Anyone in YYZ handy with a camera interested in a collaboration?

The worst I saw was on Fox a few years back- whatshername from X-Files hosted a show that was allegedly about how to survive a plane crash. Standard-issue scaremongering.