PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanish ATC
Thread: Spanish ATC
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2007, 08:03
andrijander

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there,
being spanish and an atco -but not working in spain, so lower your guns and save some ammo for later- would like to share some with you. The first and I think very important thing to know is that it's not all AENA in Spain -this is so you know where to shoot- as some airports are actually military airfields open to civilian traffic. Now, the guys in green have been getting the same level of frustration as you guys do as they have been saying for a good while things ain't right and nobody seems to listen. Reason being AENA spends good money for their services but, being them low in the ranks, they see none of it -neither training, personnel nor equipment. Also they cannot get union-ised as it is against the spanish constitution and therefore ilegal -because they hold guns they're not allowed any kind of political tools-. So they have very little to do against all of it but to swallow and pray. This, of course, has nothing to do with the major international airports and most of the small ones but there are quite a few who are in this situation. If you need to check you'll know where to look.
I don't know that many atco's from down there myself but the ones I have met try to keep good standards -again I can only take their word-. But as mentioned before the service there may be as good/bad as in many other places around the globe. I am not trying to give anybody any kind of slack here, but quite recently EUROCONTROL published last year's performance report for european ATSP's. Here's an insight on how the study was made and how to better do it in the future -if anybody cares- http://www.eurocontrol.int/care-inno...inalreport.pdf . The report itself http://www.eurocontrol.int/prc/galle...s/PRR_2006.pdf .
Now it doesn't addres specifically any country in regards of safety but it asesses safety as a whole european matter(chapter 3 of the document, page 29 onwards). The only thing it does reflect at a national level is the fact that the legislation is not up to date and neither is the culture but just as many other countries. For those of you who think reporting goes to waste this is the living proof that it does get somewhere -the lack of specifics in the report is intentional in accordance with the just culture philosophy-. In fact the only specific about Spain and or its controllers that I have seen -didn't fully read it though- is the fact that the ratio between controller's salaries and traffic increase is unbalanced -thus affecting route charges. However charges still being lower than other european countries if you look in the bigger scope of things.
Anyway, in short, keep trying, keep reporting and making noise as one report will do nothing but ten or hundred will. And give specifics when you write them so the investigators can track down what's up and try and change it.
Safe flying,
A.
PD: pages 106 and 116 of the report may be of interest also.
Edited to add post data.

Last edited by andrijander; 21st May 2007 at 10:05.