PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whats The possibility? job, no saturdays..
Old 20th May 2007, 17:36
thepotato232

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, but this just isn't the kind of job where you can expect to pick and choose your days off for any reason. If you're a pilot, you'll be working on the Sabbath. You're also likely to be working for any number of major milestones in the life and development of your family - nobody cares if your son is about to take his first step, there's a plane that needs a pilot. If you hope to go corporate, you can normally expect to be on call essentially whenever you're needed, be it the Sabbath, a major holiday, or the end of the world. If you manage to meet someone at a small corporation with an aviation program, they are sometimes quite accomodating toward the pilots they like. Of course, those jobs generally aren't very stable. If you've simply got to fly, then there are many flight instructor jobs where you can essentially make your own hours. One of the best instructors I ever had was a very devout Jew, and he always had plenty of work to do on the days when his faith allowed it. These jobs don't normally pay very much, but they are one option. Even if you become senior at a company someday and can bid the Sabbath off, you'll only make it that far by working every day you're needed while you're young.

Your devotion to your religion isn't something I share, but it is something I respect. As blunt as Lasiorhinus and flyboyike are being, they're right. This job market is brutally competitive, and employers want pilots with as few strings attached as possible. God may be our co-pilot, but He doesn't work in the scheduling department (apologies to Col. Scott). We've all sacrificed something to get to where we are, it's just a matter of what we're willing and able to do.