PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LTE question
Thread: LTE question
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2007, 12:01
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’ll also say thanks Nick. I remember twenty or more years ago (1982) defending my position from a DCA (then) examiner who said that we had to do LTE exercises in our ‘47s.

I can tell you that I felt like shag on a rock, I wish I had your paper then to refer to. This gent was an author of another paper professing to spell out doom and gloom and disaster if we all didn’t practice it. Well the easiest way for silence was to challenge him to take me up, demonstrate it and every time he managed to get it happening then I bet him I will recover so quickly to prove that it is not a problem. I think the only type that he had ever flown up till then was the fabled ‘bad one.’ (kiowa)

Hence my use of the word PHOBIA, it is utter baloney as you say, and not a reason for kids to be frightened witless by mindless know it alls around beer fridges.

Enough of that, the problem that I refer to is probably also a hot exhaust problem with a confused tailpipe direction, I mean how could a qualified instructor call up an LTE exercise (in a R22) then apply LEFT pedal to initiate it, and then expect the student to roll OFF power to land as the recovery from the hover.

Maybe someone in Perth (read Jandakot) from where this instructor must hail will be able to enlighten us. There are two big schools there and some correspondents on these forums from there as well. C’mon you sandgropers let us know the giff.

When you get bit by the big bad rotor torque means rotating the other way doesn’t it? Then a quarter of a turn later when the T/R zooms into fresh air with full opposite pedal you get bit by the sudden stop in rotation – read violence - and its all over in a tad.
Maybe they have LTE over there when they are in auto????