PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TU 144 pilots wanted
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2007, 09:48
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Sadly, I've never flown (in) either, but certainly have had opportunities for a good look at both, and broadly agree with John Farley (my area of disagreement is that I believe much of the lack of success of the type was the two fatal accidents in the type early in the service life, such that Aeroflot used it primarily for freight.

I have no current contacts there, but there is/was a full serviceable Tu-144 airframe with ground electrical and hydraulic power at the "teaching airfield" which belongs to Samara State Aerospace University - when I visited the place in the early 1990s they were using it for training aeronautical engineers. If it's still there, it may well be of great use for any film-making. The Nikolai Kolmakov design bureau is also in Samara; they built the engines and have a rather nice museum of the history of jet engine development.

Incidentally, only the English speaking world called it Concordski, the French called it Concordska, which is surely more appropriate - most aeroplanes have female personalities.

G