PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Links To Civilian Helicopter Market For Those Planning On Leaving Hm Forces
Old 20th May 2007, 09:14
wobble2plank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went through this same rigmarole some three years ago! At the time there was no 'Generic' website for the helo operators and I was lucky enough to have an old mate of mine fairly high up in CHC Global who could give me the whole skinny.

Sad to say that it does all seem to revolve around who you know and any contacts you can glean! At the moment the chopper world is crying out for pilots, especially experienced twin turbine guys for the HEMS world. The snag comes that there are vast amounts of less experienced guys who also want these jobs and are prepared to accepted occasionally appalling wages to get the turbine time. This short sighted attitude has led to a severe crumbling of the T's & C's in the helo world.

Even the BA RAFCARS scheme only gets you to interview, but once again having a mate already in the company to give you the inside track on what the guys really think is a huge benefit.

Perhaps a thread needs to be started or even a 'military' logged website with these company details, fixed or rotary. Just a thought!

Good luck.

P.s. If I'd known civvie flying was this easy and unstressed, I'd have done it years ago!

p.p.s At the moment the main guys at PAS/Met Police and Star Speed are all ex FAA I believe. Might be worth knowing!