PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scottish ATC probs 16th July ?
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2001, 18:59
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Dear PB,

I am sorry that I did not explain myself more fully.

Firstly, I do not think that carrier's routinely lie to the pax, this one in particular. The problem is more usually one of omission. Had the captain said in his welcome message that the reason for the problem was ATC computer failure - I would not have said a word. But he used the anodyne phrase, "... difficulties all day." which CAN be used to mask a raft of the carrier's own problems. I realise, of course, that he might have thought that mentioning computer failure would upset the pax and so chose the simplistic answer. Fair enough.

"Like most pax ..." Allow me to say that, having been paxing for 35 years, I am well aware of the on-time performance issues and make full allowance for them. I have been shuttling around the UK and Europe long enough to know what can get in the way of arrival times.

As to the landing - what I said was, "... most PAX were rather disturbed ..." I was not. I have experienced significantly harder landings. However, most pax ARE taken aback by a firmish landing, leave alone a bounce. Not least because they are often entirely unaware of how close touch down is. One lady was very nervous and subsequently became nauseous during the taxy to stand. I knew the firm landing was to ensure that we made the turn off and avoid the back-track. Which we did.

I take a great interest in the airline business and am well aware of the multiple difficulties that are faced by flight and cabin crews every day. My nephew is a pilot (not in this country) and my sympathies are ALWAYS with the line, not the pax.

Please also see my complimentary comments about the CC who continued to make amusing P/As that reduced stress and made everyone laugh.

I have been a fan of EZY since they started using them for leisure and business. I have been through the early days and the cancelled flights AND last New Year's snow problem, so am not oblivious to the downside but I always reccomend them.

Again, I am sorry that, in my attempt to make a brief post, I made it too brief!

[ 21 July 2001: Message edited by: PAXboy ]