PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanish ATC
Thread: Spanish ATC
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2007, 16:14
AltFlaps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree. Spanish ATC is shocking !!

I work for a LoCo 737 brigade, and fly to all the usual suspects about 4 times week. Spanish ATC is without question the worst in Europe.

Without TCAS, moving map displays and terrain overlays, I would have serious concerns about operating in Spain at all. We are regularly given descent clearance below MSA in IMC.

I only started operating in Spain about 3 years ago (having spent several years flying just abouy everywhere else in Europe), so the contrast was all the more shocking.
One of the things I noticed immediately, was that UK pilots seemed to talk a lot (on frequency) about their positions and speeds. It became apparent rather quickly, that this was to keep other traffic informed when things get bad with ATC (which is very common).

I reckon you could file a couple of ASRs on just about every sector which involves departure or arrival at a Spanish airport (especially in the south).

Spanish pilots are concerned about it as well ... I seem to remember some call to action amongst Spanish pilots about 18 months on this very forum.

I appreciate the reasons are complex - but I hope they sort it out before it ends in tears AGAIN