PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PM Gordon Brown - Defence Policy
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2007, 11:50
TheSmiter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PME Gordon Brown is going on a fact finding tour of the UK to listen to us! Stop rolling around the floor in the back row.

Always good to appear consultative, it doesn't commit you to anything, but looks caring. Hahahaha. Begs the question, what's he been doing for the last 10 years?

As to our future defence policy, I'm on DIABOLI's wavelength. It'll be driven by the Treasury's agenda and administered by a SoS selected from former Treasury Brownites (Douglas Alexander / Stephen Timms). Ultimately the blame for the demise of our Armed Forces will be laid at the door of the Chiefs who will be unable to manage their SDR commitments on the leftovers from the NHS, Education and Soc Security budgets!

I foresee another Comprehensive Defence Review, which, of course, will not be about fiscal efficiencies, but designed to ensure we provide a diverse, agile service in a dynamic security environment where every nation or disaffected individual is afforded an equal opportunity to exercise their right of dissent. Hey Presto:

MASSIVE CUTS

Will the PME call an election? Well, maybe, depending on his poll ratings after a few months in office and a few big policy announcements. He doesn't have to go until 2010, although most commentators think it'll be before then.

What about the Tories? Does Sunshine Dave have a credible defence policy? Anyone tell me what it is? This is one policy issue where, historically, there has been blue sky between the parties, remember Michael Foot's manifesto, widely regarded as the longest suicide note in history! If Dave got in, would he recognise the value of the Armed Forces and give us a huge boost a la Maggie, or are we just not vote winners any more? Your thoughts?

Personally, I've got a few years left, just enough for 6 more sunshine tours - however, unless things change rapidly, Mrs Smiter and I are bugging out to somewhere hot and nice, Ciao

I'll do the lights.