PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Criminality and Safety in SA
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2007, 09:10
Martin_tu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Criminality & Safety in SA.

Howzit Constanse,

Crime in SA is in fact as bad as you think, probably worse than you can imagine. The murder rate is actually lower than posted by someone else here, (about 53 per day on average).

But you should bear in mind that rape, (reported at about 150 per day average, as well as 80% underreported), is often a death sentence too due to the prevalence of AIDS here.

Three to five million illegal Zimbabweans exacerbating both the murder and rape problem here unfortunately.

This is not to say there aren't ways of drastically reducing your chances of falling victim of course but I'm rather surprised that on this forum, you don't appear to have many Suthefrican PPL's telling you how serious the crime problem is here.

Be that as it may, you might want to check out a relatively friendly local forum that may be a good intro to SA, (apart from two of the many other forums I frequent that is ! LOL). Go to http://forum.mg.co.za/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=Crime to start with.

Then maybe drop in on the SA Police website for the latest crime-stats, (updated soon, in June). Perhaps then you can work out where its safest for you to live while your here, (if you do come).

And don't think that being small, pretty and blonde makes you more of a target for a crim' than anyone else, there are ways of turning these attributes to your advantage I promise you, its all a matter of 'perception'.

That, and the kind of company you're perceived to keep.

BTW. PPRuNe popped up on my Google RADAR specifically due to your post title, hope you don't mind us butting in, just trying to help & clarify.

Yours in common cause,

Martin L Hedington
CCI, SCF, CESA, GOSA.
Kempton Park,
Gauteng,
South Africa,
2711 391 2979 (O)
2782 392 9744 (C)