PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does the Red Bull AirRace promote Flying/Aviation? - Apparently NOT!!
Old 18th May 2007, 17:38
FB11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N

I certainly don't think you're a tree hugger (you are a Cessna driver after all) but to tell me you don't lean the 'real' way? Use a computer? I despair.

But you are right, Red Bull is in no way setting out to promote GA but GA can at least lever off the passion and excitement an extreme sport brings. Extreme meaning few people will have the skill/balls/money to do it.

The reason Mitsubishi and Subaru all create road versions of their WRX cars is because people like the idea that they are driving something that could be hammering around the rocky roads of Wales.

Reno racing versus the Schneider Trophy celebration around the IOW? Any links? Of course. The couple thrashing around at 124kts IAS in their 'souped up' 172 (aka take out back seat and wash aircraft) as compared to September Fury doing 450kts+ has all concerned coming down from their flight happy to have been airborne knowing that few in the country will have taken part in such an event. Happy that they can share the experience with fellow aviators.

If a straight-and-level-never-normally-leave-the-circuit pilot gets even mildly inspired by the hard core Red Bull guys, takes the plunge and pays for a trip in a Firefly or a Chipmunk to turn upside down a few times then good for them. They will be better pilots for it.

Red Bull is not a GA advertising awning but it certainly isn't anti GA, nor can it have a negative effect on anyone even vaguely interested in what happens once you leave the ground.

It's loud, environmentally unfriendly and requires skill and cajones. Brilliant.

If I can't see it in person then wide screen HD please.