PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does the Red Bull AirRace promote Flying/Aviation? - Apparently NOT!!
Old 18th May 2007, 16:29
SkyHawk-N

Location: Here and there. Here at the moment but soon I'll be there.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FB11

Where's my answer to the question I asked in my first sentence? How do you think Red Bull promotion will help with the issues which make people not want to fly? Will it make the weather nicer? will it give people more time and money? will it make people think flying is not dangerous? Please, I'd genuinely like to know.

What message will they put over to the public in their promotional material? "get a PPL and do THIS yourself", will they not be a tad disappointed when they end up flying the club spamcan on 1 hour "bimbles", when there is availability and the weather is ok?

You were picking me up on my "non-too safe" comment (again, I did not say dangerous).. here are some quotes from Red Bull Pilots...

Mike Mangold (USA, Cobra):
“I’m happy that it’s over. We’re still working through some problems with everything with our team and hopefully we’ll get there in time to save our season. I’m just happy it’s over. It was a tough day and a dangerous course, as you can see some of the things that happened out there. So you have to be happy you made it through alive and then on the podium."

Kirby Chambliss:
"The one thing about this sport is it is extremely dangerous, and there's not a lot of room for error," Chambliss said. "It's not like a Formula 1 guy who crashes, hits the soft wall, gets out of his car and throws his helmet in anger.
"Ninety percent of the time in this thing you get killed."

Say again s l o w l y, I personally like loud, fast machinary and have owned a fair bit myself (not a fast aircraft though). FB11 thinks I'm a tree hugger, but I'm not, I'd love to go and see Red Bull stuff myself. I just don't see how Red Bull can be used to encourage large quantities of people into GA and help retain the pilots who do get their licences.

BTW FB11, no skill in leaning the N, the computer tells me what to do.