PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - XL.com/Excel Airways
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2007, 14:14
BestonBoard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From an ex- excel'er!

Hi there,

From what I remember with my time at XL, the 767 can operate SFB out of MAN, and some caribbean routes. However the majority of long haul is out of LGW, and from what I remember SFB's were bullet trips from MAN. All I would say is be prepared for uproar if you do get long haul trips... There are crew that have been there for years and are still operating shorthaul only. If you check out xl.com and there route schedules from MAN you can see what destinations they fly to... (obviously some ad hoc charter work can come into it... that's what the charter industry is about!) Xl still operate on 2 AOC's as far as I am aware, the british AOC is for the 73/75/762 and the Icelandic AOC is for the 763/747 which most of the long haul routes are operated on. (there are many more AOC's within the company depending on the base, when I was there I used to operate on an English and Greek AOC independantly depending on the a/c type I flew on... Newcastle operate on a Finnish AOC, and cardiff used to operate on a Canadian one... all depends where the a/c comes from!)

I enjoyed myself when I was there, I did only operate probably 5 flights per month, but I was based at an outbase that had a scheduled service, so MAN may be completely different.

From friends in the company now I am aware they are overcrewed at the minute, but Staff turnover does have to be allowed for!

Give it a go... what have you got to lose?