PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAA PPL currency?
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2007, 13:29
Kengineer-130

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to quote VFE "Most guys who pitch up at the FTO where I work require at least 5 hours instructional flying before even being considered ready to be signed off solo..... most require more before they themselves feel comfortable flying over here.

It is a simple fact: JAA PPL training in the USA does not prepare a pilot adequately enough to fly in the UK.

VFE."

Yep I totally agree, it is only common sense to aquaint yourself with the differences in airspace/ procedures and phraseology of european R/T, but IMHO the money you have saved actually learning just to FLY the aircraft , is paid off twice over by having to do a few hours brush-up back in blighty, and they then count as currency hours as well - Can never do too much training is what I say, always somthing new to learn ....

I feel quite sad that all the people who achived thier PPL in Florida or whatever other place they did it all get tarred by the same brush, I had a number of lessons in the uk before I went to the USA, and I completed the JAA sylabus over there not the FAA one. With regards to the groundschool, I can remember most things, not at all learn and dump, but with any skill/ knowledge, it soon gets rusty if it is not used , and that has nothing at all to do with where you trained, it is simple human nature, and to be honest the grounschool I recived out in the states was delivered by someone who was VERY passionate about his subjects, and always made sure we actualy learnt how AND why things get done they way they are , I can't imagine how difficult it would have been doing it learn and dump, yes ok the exams could have been passed, but what happens when it comes to applying the knowlege?? ...

All I can say is I can't wait to get some flying in, I drove home this morning at 5am, and the skys were gorgeous, I was dreaming about being up there