PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAA PPL currency?
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2007, 12:45
2close

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anything to do with Florida PPLs drives BEagle mad...
I don't think he's the only one - there are numerous UK aviators who have the same viewpoint.

But surely the same argument applies in that, as there are good and bad JAA FIs there will be good and bad FAA FIs and similarly there will be some FAA FIs who are better than some JAA FIs and vice versa. Their respective outputs are surely going to vary.

I have done both FAA and JAA PPLs and personally I think the FAA Skills Test was more demanding than the JAA. More flying skills were tested, e.g. Short Field and Soft Field TO/LDGs and X-Wind Landings, the pre-flight planning was more demanding (although facilities were a far sight easier to access than in the UK at the time - saying that we in the UK have come on leaps and bounds over the past few years) and the oral examination was quite in depth (for PPL level). Of course, this may be the exception to the rule but I can only comment from personal experience.

I personally would never say that any pilot is going to be any better than any other just because he has undertaken a particular syllabus. Maybe some feel that the FAA syllabus is lacking but I remain to be convinced of that allegation - it seems to work for what it's designed to do. No, I think I will judge each person on their own demonstrated abilities.

I know of a JAA PPL who turned up in the USA to undertake a FAA CPL IR and his flying was atrocious, no, downright dangerous - I had the regrettable experience of riding in the back seat with him flying....just the once, which was enough for me but I was assured by others that what I witnessed was the norm not the exception.

As for EASA writing off overseas training, of course I don't know but I somehow doubt that will happen....well, I will be surprised if it does. There may be too many high profile interested parties (with extensive lobbying power) that may stand to lose considerable amounts of money if this was to happen........unless of course the cost of aviation in the EU was to reduce (and I'm not going to hold my breath on that one). In any case (and I stand to be educated here) what difference does a location make to learning primary flying skills?

Well, that's my head well and truly over the top of the parapet. Stand by for incoming..........

Just one small, insy winsy request.....adult discussion not abuse, please!!

EDIT - I do however agree with VFE that people who undertake the FAA syllabus aren't prepared for flying in the UK and that a certain amount familiarity and RT training is definitely required. I know that I did.