PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lee on Solent, beginning of the end
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2007, 15:58
FBS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But that is highly unlikely to happen and so we have to make the best of what we have, which is fast becoming nothing. As you say it was never going to be a commercial airport, the only reason that story came through the paper was to get people against it to justify Fareham Council's already decided scheme to redevelop. It was a foregone conclusion and everything they have done has been done in a way to minimise any change of anything else.

The money raised from the sale of Haslar will not find its way into infrastructure. Even if it did there are very, very few places where any improvement to the road system can be made. Their best bet would be to reinstate the old railway as a rapid transport system but the people that decide these things are the same bunch of 'professionals' who had the spinnaker tower built from dodgy concrete (don't stand underneath it folks!). It just ain't going to happen.

I agree a standard military three runway airfield is not going to make money as a GA field but there are plenty of working airfields that are built on a base that is just that, they just don't use all of it.

It is sad that an airfield is on its way out. It is the airfield I grew up next to and so I have a soft spot for it, but covering it in housing is going to be nasty and the way they are doing it leaves a nasty taste.

There is something about the whole thing that just stinks.