PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK jobs market and where and how to find that first job?
Old 17th May 2007, 15:27
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forgive me, but I don't see WWW urging people to start flying at the youngest age possible - though I do see you doing so. WWW regularly cautions people against automatically going to university without considering the options available to them, and he often points out the financial advantages to other avenues - not least that they may find themselves in a position to take an airline job earlier than those who go to university. That's not the same as recommending that people start flying as soon as they can.

My history is not really relevant. I started flying professionally at 21, having never flown a powered aircraft before. My first solo was in a jet. I had no ambition to be a pilot when I was younger, and had no expectation of being a pilot even when I did apply to the RAF, because I wore (and still wear) glasses. I am an aberration in the business, though not unique or even that uncommon. Flying for me is a profession, not a passion. Therefore I approach the business of wannabes becoming qualified to fly in a pragmatic manner, and remove emotion and passion from the equation - they will not put a roof over your head, or keep the training department off your back.

Scroggs