PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS Application
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2007, 13:29
blista1989

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NATS Application

Hi all,
I know of (and have found) alot of information out there about the application for a trainee ATCO position however I would like some advice.

I'm 18 and currently studying to do my A levels in Maths, Physics and Chemistry with predicted grades of A, A and B respectively. I have a place held on an aerospace engineering course at Bristol University however I am very interested in instead applying for a job as an ATCO.

Whatever I eventually do as a job, whether it be before or after uni, I seriously expect it to be somehow related to aviation and an ATCO seems like a perfect job for me. That, coupled with the possibilty that I may not get my predicted grades, leads me to be looking at going on the training course ASAP.
(For the record I am fully aware of how important A levels are and I will be putting all my effort into them in the coming month however it is always important to have a back-up plan.)

My concerns are that although I meet all the minimum requirements as an 18 year old with only A level qualifications and little experience in the "real-world" my application may be rejected.
I have for the past two summer holidays been a sailing instructor at my local lakes which demands not only a high level of physical fitness, but reliability and the need for practical thinking which are similar requirements for an ATCO.
This coupled with other activities (violin, drums, school commitements), I believe, shows I have the skills required and I certainly have enough enthusiasm but with NATS share my view?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thankyou very much
Alistair Strong