PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight to Morocco
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2007, 12:44
denhamflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got back from Morroco yesterday.
try AIP

WARNING:
if you want fuel in Marrakesh they are getting a real pain about proving where you got you money from (Dirhams) we had numerous receipts (ATM's banks etc.) NONE were accepted without a serial number and stamp!

We argued for an hour and they finally lets us have some fuel! So if you want an easy life take loads of Euros/Stirling and get it changed and check the receipt is serial numbered and stamped (I suspect this is a mild form of corruption which we refused to take part in)

On the visiting front only do a day or two in Marrakesh or stay at somewhere like Jnane Tamsna (exellent a beautiful place outside marrakesh) - best placed we stayed at during the whole visit. Also Ouarzazate (Waz a zat) and Zagora (Riad Lamane) are interesting bases. The begging in the big cities can be a pain (kids perpetually approaching you - even in the dessert whislt on camel!). Please dont give them money it only makes them worse!

Visit further south - we went all the way down to near the algerian border (4x4 not plane Im afraid). Some fantastic scenery. Be careful driving the mountain roads, we witnessed a local lorry driver go over the edge with very little of him and his truck left.. ( not the best start to a holiday).

I would try and get hold of the new VFR charts they have mandatory routing on them and they wont accept flight plans without them (although CASA control dont know half the points so when reporting they will say "where")
Unfortunately we didnt get into Casablanca which is where you get them - we were just using the old TPC's

Apart from the bureaucracy we very much enjoyed the trip and flying. If you want the contact of an excellent guide/driver (english) then PM me.

Last edited by denhamflyer; 17th May 2007 at 15:07. Reason: URL fix