PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2007, 12:41
michaelthewannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rudder co-ordination

Thanks for that, Lee! All makes sense.

Had another good lesson today. This instructor is demanding, not great at communicating, and sometimes a little presumptious - but what he teaches is solid gold. I still didn't quite have the rudder co-ordination sorted, so we did a bit more of the banking exercise. Turns out that I hadn't been looking at the correct thing at all, when I was doing it before, which was why it was going wrong! After a bit of discussion with the instructor, to try to understand what I was doing wrong, everything fell into place. Now, I can make co-ordinated turns! A very rewarding outcome.

The remainder of the lesson was dedicated to identifying attitudes visually, instead of by reference to the instruments. It makes flying so much easier to know 80 knots straight and level, 100 knots 50 fpm descent, 70 knots climb, etc. - by the view instead of the dials. Very, very helpful.

So we had an extremely circuitous route in the zone, with various holds, until we finally got onto approach. Holding 100 knots, 1000 ft and making the manoeuvres is fairly easy now. On short final, the instructor grabbed control, and made what turned out to be an extremely hairy crosswind landing. I have a hunch it was outside the limits. Oh well, I'm still alive.

More tomorrow...