PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The "Crew Security" Thread (merged)
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2007, 08:54
tribekey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sf guy

You ( and everyone else reading this) may or may not be aware that the regulations are also causing problems for air traffic control staff too. Again, the regulations seem to be enforced/interpreted differently depending which airport you are at. Some control towers are not 'airside' so the problem doesn't exist, some are provided with liquids by their employers (milk deliveries for example can be done by a 'deemed safe 'person). My particular experience is that no liquids/butter/yoghurts etc are allowed airside and therefore i am currently expected to work up to 9 hours with only water to drink. (this would be on a night shift- during the day we are currently told we can go to the airport terminal to buy a drink thus using the greater portion of our mandatory rest break to get a drink!).

The system has thrown up so many ridiculous irregularities and contradictions at my particular airport you simply wouldn't believe it.

Anyway, my full support as a uk ATCO to all the air crews, ground crews etc who have to put up with this nonsense, and i will be writing to my m.p. transport select commitee etc.

One last thought; current regulations would allow myself, working entirely on my own on a night shift (no assistant etc) to control several passenger aircraft departing xxxx early in the morning( after having only water supplied to drink all night),maybe coinciding with a pilot/air crew who've just gone through 'security' and feeling a little stressed. The passengers have had their liquids checked etc but are loaded up with stuff they've bought airside that simply has been delivered off a lorry straight into the airside shops without being checked.

Happy days