PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Boats.......
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2007, 07:26
Kitbag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So there is a consensus that it could work then!
Not looking back at previous posts on this thread. Mainly a lot about seaplanes (not flying boats) and wing in ground effect aircraft.

i guess it would need a brave manufacturer to do a medium ( say 150 seat) craft, but im sure going foward it could happen?
Brave manufacturers went out of business, now they expect (and need) firm orders to justify the development costs.

On another tack I don't see the economics of such an operation in N Europe working. Crowded harbour area; what of Mr Smith wanders in in his dinghy? (I seem to recall that power is meant to give way to sail in this instance), weather cancellations in conditions that would not bother a land plane. Transfer of passengers to and from the aircraft. Costs per passenger mile also likely to be higher: fuel; due to additional structure weight and form drag, maintenance; specifically corrosion prevention. 'Runway' clearance; plenty of instances of floating debris holing hulls. Not quite an endless list, and there are regions were such issues do not exist to an unacceptable degree.