PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Atlantic Navigation
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2007, 03:42
madtrap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pressure pattern?!? That’s it; I’m jolted out of my trance.
In an earlier life and previous trade I used it on C-130s in the late 60s and early 70s, and it worked fine. That’s not to say that we wandered all over the Pond on the way east, Gander and Shanwick took a dim view of that. The technique simply involved comparing true and pressure altitudes every 15-20 minutes to maintain the pressure pattern log. You could check the accuracy of the Doppler drift (no really, honest)
Our antennae had an occasional tendency to lock or freeze in position. That was the type that turned to equalize the shift for the two forward-facing beams, then measured the angle between the AE and the mounting as drift angle.
Anyway, cross-checking that Doppler readout was prudent, especially if you were expecting to penetrate a front.
If the Loran A sky waves got tangled in twilight shifting ionosphere layers, and the high cirrus kept you from your celestial salvation, a plot from your last decent fix, combined with the calculations from the PP log, would give you a better position line than Quimper-Plonéis or Varhaug Consol stations.
I do prefer ring-laser gyros, FMCs and CPDLC though, the romance of the other stuff having faded with my youth and hairline.