PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2007, 23:36
Occasional Aviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And another thing

I'd also like to put a slightly different gloss on the MASC debate. If I had to choose between Merlin and Chinook, I'd go for Merlin. Why? It is actually faster than Chinook, goes about as high (16700ft design limit IIRC) and will stay up for longer on internal fuel - yes you can put a bob tank in the CH47, but you can put one in Merlin as well and anyway it takes up cabin space. The cabin in the Mk 3 is 2/3 the size of CH47, so big enough to take a palletised mission system, and the nightmares in producing a marinised aircraft which folds have all been overcome. Also the clever anti-vibration thingie would reduce fatigue on both the crew and the delicate avionics - the effect of this on endurance and system life shouldn't be underestimated. Don't forget it was designed as a naval aircraft - the Mk3 may be less capable than the CH47 in the battlefield role but I wouldn't consider it useless, I hear it is doing at least as well in Iraq, and all the Mk 1 operators I've spoken to love it.