PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From the US- It's tough on GA downunder
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2007, 15:54
DUXNUTZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Us Atc

Just landed after an IFR sortie here in the states so may comment.
Air Traffic Control here is really good as a blanket statement. I guess having radar coverage pretty much everywhere except the mountains and below 1000 agl in parts helps. ATC do a really good job of providing traffic information and active "flight following" of VFR aircraft OCTA. I am always surprised to hear a good natured atc-er happy to provide a code to vfr aircraft and helpful traffic, when they could just say "Maintain vfr and code 1200".
The IFR service is really good. Every night of the week we are sequenced into an airport ahead of and often behind a 757, with several regional jets in the mix and often at least 2 single engine turboprop airforce trainers in the pattern (circuit).
With the advent of ground stops and flow management programs, haven't had to hold (i fly a turboprop so not too high performance) yet unless requested and to think of it have only flown a full approach a couple times. In mexico you always fly a full approach or you'll become part of a hill. ATC are a little hit and miss there.
I think overall a lot of it is attitude. There is a whole bunch of GA over here and i think in Oz they get the shaft.

Here's one for you. THe other day at the local FBO i go to, the tower had a customer satisfaction survey for transient pilots to fill out! Service.