PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Academic Qualifications
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2007, 15:52
Ropey Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I doubt the exams are equivalent to 14 GCSE's - the two comms exams took approx 2 and a half minutes each to sit (so 5 mins in total for 2 exams - but then I heard GCSEs were getting easier). With the best will in the world the exams can be done part time in less than a year. A degree is 3 years full time and GSCEs 2 years full time. They do require time, patience and study but 'ballpark' comparisons will always be contentious.

If you struggle you will assume a hefty (possibly degree) equivalent; if you didn't you will find an easier comparison. Some science A levels are probably harder than some degrees

One of the guys on my crammer course was telling everyone how an ATPL was considered equivalent to a degree. He was on his final attempt in several subjects but was still having problems transposing simple formulas. (eg if speed = distance/time how do you find time if you are given speed and distance). I really hope he made it, but the fact he found it difficult didn't make it any closer to a degree.

I used an excellent book called "Ace the technical pilot interview" or similar to brush up on what I had done in the exams pre-airline interview. I would suggest those who are worried to have a quick browse through it and see if they could ever see themselves learning it (bearing in mind it is not a teaching course, simply an aide memoire). It gives a hint as to what sort of level of knowedge is required.

As to what qualifications employers want - this thread could go on forever but my own tuppenceworth is than their importance diminishes with other experience.

If you are 21 with 3 GCSEs and a shelf stacking career you may find other candidates take your place.

If you are 21 with 3 GCSEs and have led a round the world expedition including organising the support team and getting major corporate sposorship - then you probably shouldn't worry too much.

Everyone applying for the job will have the same license. Say there are 300 of you - what have you got that they haven't; and can you put it in a CV so that when 10 of you are invited to interview, you are one of them. Academic quals (for the younger applicant) are a useful filter at that stage.

Some larger companies won't look at you regardless. If they have to filter10,000 applicants who do have their academic criteria why would they even entertain those who don't.

There are plenty of you there who have cited cases of people without A-levels (or equivalent) getting a job. I know someone who smoked 40 a day for most of his life and lived to be 90. It doesn't mean that smoking is the smartest thing to do for a long life though - many more have died of lung cancer in their 50s.

As to them taking up too much space on your CV - I could take up an entire side of A4 if I wanted to; it doesn't mean you have to though. 14 GSCEs can be listed as

"14 GCSEs - Grades A-C: Including Mathematics and Physics"

or similar. Many companies have an application form with spaces for that sort of thing anyway.

Given the costs involved, however, I would be slightly wary if you cannot stick an academic course because you have no motivation but assume 12 months of maths and physics based (amongst other stuff) ATPL exams will hold your attention any more. I think most on this thread will agree that A levels are beneficial to getting a job but not necessary - if that benefit isn't motivational enough consider:

Trigonometry doesn't get hugely more interesting because there is a picture of an aeroplane at one of the corners on the blackboard.

Cl=1/2 x rho x v (squared) x s isn't ant less algebraic because Cl is the coefficient of lift

And the endless pages of drivel about conventions in Warsaw aren't enthralling because they refer to air law.